Name Janneke de Jong
Date of Birth June 30, 1984
Phone +44 (0)79 8550 4736
As a business-minded Dutch-English translator and web writer, I count myself lucky to have the opportunity to combine my obsession for impeccable grammar with my life-long passion for marketing, fashion and lifestyle.
- Tor Cameron, Apple: ”Janneke was highly attentive and focused throughout her time with us, going the extra mile to help us achieve great results. We would love to have her back in the future and I would highly recommend her services as a copywriter and editor.”
- Abdalla Khelidy, Hogarth: “Swift response at all times and excellent quality adaptations. Janneke is a reliable, punctual copywriter who has great eye for detail. I’ve worked with her on several projects, and I will definitely continue to do so.”
- Stacey Knowles, EuroLondon: ”Janneke and I have been working together for a number of years and she has always provided excellent work. Janneke is reliable, efficient and an absolute pleasure to work with. I can always rely on Janneke to provide up to date information on market rates and she has always been very proactive in the recruitment process. I highly recommend Janneke for any proofreading or translation assignments.”
- Rachael Oku, The Hub Magazine: “Janneke is a fantastic writer whom I highly recommend for any and every position. A fantastic senior writer with a keen grasp of the English language, Janneke thinks outside the box and is extremely trustworthy, always meets deadlines and is adept at managing a team of writers.”
- Linnea Dunne, Omnifone: “If I started a business, I would hire Janneke. That’s as good as recommendations come, isn’t it? She’s highly intelligent, very efficient and incredibly reliable.”
MA Pre-Master Writing and Communication, University of Amsterdam, obtained in 2009
BA English Language and Culture, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, the Netherlands, Cum Laude BA obtained in 2008
BA Course in Translation Sciences, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, the Netherlands, obtained in 2007
BA Journalism, Windesheim Zwolle, the Netherlands, BA obtained in 2005
HAVO Secondary Education, obtained in 2001
2008 – now
- Before and whilst translating daily at Omnifone, I have gained experience as a freelance translator.
- Clients include: Apple, Adidas, ASUS, Ballantines, EuroLondon, GP Advertising, H&M, Hewlett Packard, Hippas Magazine, Honda, I Miss The Old School, LoopbaanVisie, Mattel, McArthurGlen, Nokia, Omnifone, RR Donnelley, Some Think Blue Magazine, Sony, Sony Qriocity, TAG: World Writers, The Hub Magazine, Vodafone, and WARL.
Editor and Writer
2008 – now
- Fashion Editor Some Think Blue (www.somethinkblue.com)
- Several other articles on fashion, beauty and lifestyle, both online and print. Publications include I Miss The Old School, GP Advertising, LoopbaanVisie and Hippas.
- Like any other writer trying to make it, I work on blogs and projects. Examples are Paper Peggy, a haute couture paper doll, and Small-scale Samaritan, where I give away clothing and accessories.
The Hub Magazine, London
Fashion Features Editor
2010 – 2011
- As fashion features editor I manage a team of writers and report directly to the editor-in-chief. I am solely responsible for all written fashion content and have a decisive vote when it comes to topics, themes and editorials.
- Moreover, I edit and proof all articles, and ensure our content suits the magazine’s style and our audience. Within two months of contributing to the online version of The Hub Magazine, I was asked to join the team of the print version and not long after that, I was announced The Hub’s first Writer Of The Month and promoted to Fashion Features Editor.
- By now, the Hub has grown from a webzine to a magazine that’s sold worldwide.
2010 – 2011
- Responsible for the UK and Netherlands department of this digital music service with providing for HP, HTC and Sony.
- Initiating and maintaining contact with record labels and liaising with clients and management.
- Responsible for writing articles on current artists, albums and releases, both international and local.
- Responsible for translating 25 articles per week from English to Dutch.
Brief op Bestelling (‘Letter on Demand’), Groningen
2008 – 2010
- Writing resumes and letters of application for clients who have filled out the online order form.
- Responsible for delivering a correct, suitable and creative letter of application and resume within 36 hours.
Manpower Employment Agency, Groningen
2008 – 2009
- Responsible for liaising with clients as well as coaching temps and employees.
- Responsible for recruiting, selecting and assessing candidates through interviews and tests.
- Responsible for writing all published texts, like job advertisements and promotional texts.
- I set up a successful and innovative project, which resulted in a permanent relation between Manpower and the largest student union of Groningen.
Universiteitskrant (‘University News’), Groningen
- Responsible for a weekly English column meant to explain Dutch news, activities or habits to foreign students.
National TV Programme ‘RTL Boulevard’, Hilversum
2004 – 2005
- Whilst working for this daily national news broadcast, I was responsible for creating several items a week, from idea to execution.
- Responsible for research, interview and writing texts, including the presentation texts for the hosts.
Local News ‘OOG Radio en Televisie’, Groningen
- Responsible for creating several items a week, TV as well as radio, from idea to execution, including editing.
- Responsible for research, interview and writing texts.
- Recording voice-overs, presenting the news.
- Dutch – native
- English – native
- German - near-native
- Creative with an innovative vocabulary
- Good communicative skills
- Structured and thorough
- Teamplayer with managing skills
- Quick and trustworthy regarding deadlines
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office, WordPress, Photoshop, InDesign, HTML, CSS.
- In possession of a valid driving license.